To celebrate the opening of The Writers’ Block premises in the heart of the new cultural hub in Redruth, The Ladder, we are seeking proposals for a writer in residence. Through poetry or prose the writer will document, shape and share the story of the transformation, the people involved, the people who will be involved, and the community. The fun, the heartache, the problems and solutions, the stories, obstacles and miracles.
Where: The Ladder, 8 Clinton Road, Redruth. The Ladder is the former Passmore Edwards Redruth Library so in itself is full of history, nooks and crannies!
When: To commence in December 2022 and finish end of January 2023. The fee is £1200 for roughly 6 days work.
About the role:
• The writer will also have a small budget to either print, record or collaborate with another artist e.g. musician, artist, performer.
• We would like you to be present at the launch of the new Writers’ Block at the end of January (TBC, likely 28 Jan) and to read at events during the week e.g. the Speakeasy.
• We would like there to be a lasting legacy in some form from the residency.
• The writer will work closely with Annamaria Murphy, supported by Amanda Harris.
• The writer needs to live in Cornwall, be confident in their practice with a proven track record, be flexible and able to collaborate.
• The writer is encouraged to visit The Ladder and work from here if appropriate.
To apply: Please send the following to [email protected] by 9am Wednesday 16 November.
• A proposal of how you might approach this commission.
• A short description of your previous writing work/commissions.
• An example of your creative writing.
• An independent testimony/reference regarding your work and your practice.
We aim to appoint by 23 November.
For further information contact Amanda 07712331421