We believe in the power of the written and spoken word to transform lives. It is everyone’s right to express themselves through creativity, curiosity and imagination.
The Writers’ Block is a space of welcome where words and language enrich and empower, particularly those at the margins of society. By increasing enjoyment, skills and confidence in the written and spoken word, we strengthen our Cornish community and build the future we need. We nourish emerging and established writers and performers whose impact will be felt across Cornwall and beyond.
Our mission is to enable children and young people, emerging writers and the Cornish community to find their voice, tell their story and be widely heard.
We achieve this by:
- Providing an inspiring, joyful, immersive space dedicated to writing.
- Developing an accessible programme that enhances skills through playfulness, curiosity, wellbeing and individuality.
- Working with specialist partners to initiate and deliver dynamic projects that respond to the diverse needs of the community.
- Supporting writers at all stages, from people yet to find their voice to emerging professionals.
- Nurturing new talent and creative practitioners by offering mentoring and training as well as creative collaborations and commissions.
- Specialising in place-based learning, we lead site-specific projects.
- Celebrating, championing and sustaining Cornwall’s culture and using this work to achieve social change.
- Increasing accessibility to our work through digital, performance and print outlets.
- Recognising and reflecting the diversity of our world in our recruitment, programming, literature and commissions.
- Striving to reduce the environmental impact of our work.
A registered charity, KEAP was founded in 2001 as an arts education agency, championing best practice and supporting schools and artists in creating an arts rich, creative curriculum. Fast forward to 2014, and after the funding landscape changed significantly, we took the brave step to move from being a service organisation to being a producer. Using our skills, experiences and literature specialism we have created unique programmes and projects which focus on building experiences, confidence, skills and enjoyment in writing and story.
The Writers’ Block – a unique creative writing hub near Redruth designed by artists, writers and theatre makers. Both a place to write and a place to unlock ideas and creativity. Find out more here.
The Story Republic – our team of glamorous troubadours who bring Cornish story, poetry and song to festivals, events, cafes, castles and hilltops across Cornwall and beyond. A training ground for emerging performers, they specialise in pop up performances, poetry by stealth, and always bring laughter with them. Find out more here.
Projects – working with schools and other cultural partners such as Geevor Tin Mine, Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum, Kresen Kernow and Hall for Cornwall, we collaborate on bespoke projects using creative writing with other art forms often on themes derived from heritage and sense of place.
Installations – Transformation of space has huge impact, and we can create residencies in many spaces – schools, libraries, community centres – where the community can experience some of the magic of The Writers’ Block in their own locality.
Business Objectives – by 2026:
- The Writers’ Block in the Old Redruth Library is a welcoming and inclusive centre for writing in Cornwall.
- The Writers’ Block is a beacon of excellence and its programmes are regularly accessed by a diverse community including those hardly reached.
- The Writers’ Block is a key provider of professional development for writers, performers and educators, in Cornwall.
- Through dynamic partnerships, we make meaningful work relevant to Cornish culture.
- We are specialists in producing place-based creative writing experiences.
- We advocate for our natural environment and social change through creative writing.
- To increase visibility through local, regional and national partners.
- To increase and celebrate the diversity of participants, audiences and colleagues.
- To have systems in place for enhanced data gathering which in turn impacts on our planning.
- To decrease our environmental impact by monitoring our activity and making conscious change through our delivery mechanisms, including the use of digital technology.
- To ensure The Writers’ Block has a resilient and viable business model which will be achieved through good governance and management as well as a mixed and inspiring portfolio.
We are hugely grateful to our funders, national and local, who have supported the creation and ongoing development of The Writers’ Block and The Story Republic.
- Arts Council England
- Esmee Fairbairn Foundation
- National Lottery Community Fund
- The Ernest Cook Trust
- Garfield Weston Foundation
- Cornwall Local Led Development
- Cornwall Council
- Amazon Literary Partnership
- Unwin Charitable Trust
- Cornwall Community Foundation
There are various ways in which you can support our work, even just coming along to our workshops and events and spreading the word to your friends will help!
We are also developing a team of volunteers to support our events and help us to get the word out in our communities. If you are interested in volunteering, get in touch with Amanda Harris on [email protected]
You can also donate directly to support our work in The Writers’ Block. We value every donation we receive!
Kernow Education Arts Partnership is a Company Limited by Guarantee No. 4253902 and a Registered Charity No. 1095166 www.keap.org.uk